- Fully bilingual in English and French (spoken and written).
- Excellent writing, editing and communications skills in various media (print, online, audio-visual).
- Extensive knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite software (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Audition, Final Cut Pro, etc.).
- Extensive experience with various social media platforms and tools
- Strong knowledge of HTML, various CMS (WordPress, Drupal, etc) and online project coordination tools.
Coordinator, Voices-Voix Coalition
Montreal, QC, 2014–present
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Voices-Voix Coalition.
- Manage communications and social media accounts.
- Identify policy areas to research and co-ordinate publication of case studies.
- Develop campaigns, areas of focus and partnerships in conjunction with coalition’s Strategy Group.
- Write and edit case studies.
- Recruit and train volunteers.
- Update and maintain website.
- Manage coalition’s budget and fundraising.
- Communicate with coalition members and allies.
- Organize public outreach events and meetings with stakeholders, including political representatives.
Assistant to the Executive Director, Tyndale St-Georges Community Centre
Montreal, QC, 2014–present
- Manage the organization’s publications, including writing, designing and publishing annual report and newsletters.
- Manage the organization’s social media accounts.
- Oversee annual membership drive
Editor & National Co-ordinator, The Dominion Newspaper Co-operative
Montreal, QC, 2007–2014
- Oversee the Media Co-op network’s overall activities, including liaising with local chapters, publishing of The Dominion magazine and daily online news, and coordinating staff and volunteers.
- Identify important social justice-related themes and topics to explore in editorial coverage.
- Communicate with impacted communities and social movements about under-reported campaigns and issues.
- Write and edit articles.
Manage the co-op’s two websites.
- Develop and carry-out social media outreach, including fundraising, content promotion and community engagement.
- Manage the organization’s internal and external communications.
- Layout and design The Dominion magazine, web graphics and outreach materials.
- Promote independent media as part of various coalitions with other media organizations and activists
- Represent the organization at conferences, industry fairs and other public events.
Freelance communications and journalism
Montreal, QC, 2001– present
As a freelancer I have written articles for numerous outlets, developed various communications campaigns, and conducted research projects. These include:
- Digital Engagement Officer, Up For Debate.
- Writing articles and Op Eds for various publications including the Montreal Gazette, Vice News Canada, Canadian Dimension, Briarpatch, DeSmog.ca, Rabble.ca, The Tyee.
- Community engagement coordinator for interactive media projects including The GDP Project (web documentary, National Film Board of Canada – NFB); Living Downstream (documentary film, The People’s Picture Company); Ici, chez soi (interactive web documentary, NFB); Circa 1948 (interactive web documentary, NFB).
- Research for various documentary projects, including A Rare Earth (in development, Prospector Films), Control is the Lie (in development, Parabola Films), H2Oil (Loaded Pictures, 2009), Wal-Town (Loaded Pictures, 2006).
CITIZENShift Podcast Co-ordinator, National Film Board of Canada
Montreal, QC, 2008–2009
- Produce bi-weekly audio and video documentary podcast.
- Oversee implementation of new podcast section on website.
- Develop & implement strategic plan and online promotion of podcast series.
- Edit and publish daily content on CITIZENShift website.
- Co-ordinate creation of multimedia dossiers for website, including reviewing proposals and liaising with content producers.
- Co-organize the international Citizen Media Rendez-Vous conference.
Editor, Siafu Magazine
Montreal, QC, 2005–2007
- Co-ordinate production of bi-monthly Montreal community newsmagazine (5,000 copy circulation), including managing other editors, contributors and liaising with printer.
- Develop story ideas and produced articles on a wide-range of topics.
- Receive and assess story proposals.
- Edit/copy-edit articles.
- Aid in conceptualization and design of Siafu.ca.
- Prepare and upload content to Siafu website.
- Develop and undertake online outreach campaign.
Executive Committee member & Outreach coordinator, Canadian Federation of Students – Quebec
Montreal, QC, 2003 – 2006
- Quebec Secretary-Treasurer (2003-2004); Provincial Chairperson (2004-2005); Research and Outreach Coordinator (2005-2006).
- Oversee administrative tasks and budgeting of the organization.
- Research, draft and present policy papers and briefs.
- Represent organization at public events, conferences and meetings, including with government officials.
- Organize grassroots mobilization campaigns for accessible education.
- Coordinate internal and external communications.
- Represent the organization in the media.
Montreal, Quebec, 2001–2005
- Bachelor of Arts
- Major in Journalism, minor in Political Science